DIY Bride: Finger Puppets for Little Ones
As a planner you are always planning for every eventuality at weddings; my emergency case is packed with ingenious ideas from entertaining little ones to adding finishing wedding design touches.
I am always working with clients to equip those guests who have children with entertainment for the ceremony, so they can all enjoy this time.
One of my recent brides had lots of under twos at her wedding – where sitting still and being quite only happens when they are asleep!
With this in mind we hatched a plan; finger puppets – easy and cheap to make, lots of colour and we can create a few different designs to hold their interest during the ceremony.
Felted finger puppets are really popular and there are many designs to choose from such as animals or Disney characters depending how crafty you are feeling.
Also there are many websites like Free Kids Crafts that have great templates that you can use.
Tools and Materials
- Felt in assorted colours
- Craft glue
- Finger puppet template
- Needle and thread/ yarn
- Embellishments, wiggly eyes, sequins, feathers, wool and so on
- Print out the template
- Place template on top of felt and trace around the outline on 2 pieces of felt for a front and back of the puppet
- Carefully cut around outline to get your finger puppet outline shapes
- Stitch around the edges of the felt, leaving the straight end, in which you insert your finger, open. Turn felt inside out
- Depending on your design and ages of children you can glue or sew on your embellishments to finish your finger puppet design
For another great set of templates and “how to” fact sheet go to Jo Ann Stores.
If you want to cheat and buy a finger puppet craft kit go to the Early Learning Centre their ranges start from £3.50.